I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

June 16, 2010

Squash Soup North African Style (p. 126)

Have I mentioned how I'm behind in soups? I'm worried that I'll get to the last couple of months and have to eat only soup until the end. So, soups. I need to tackle them.

Plus, I got a squash in my CSA this week, so I needed to use it. Apparently this soup is perfect for those chilly winter evenings, but I've decided I'm going to make it work in the muggy, hot, dripping North Carolina summer. Here goes.

In a stock pot, sauté celery and garlic in olive oil (and also carrots, if you haven't declared war against cooked carrots, which I have.) Once the celery has softened, add cubed squash (or pumpkin), chopped sweet red pepper, and either a fresh red chili pepper or dried, crushed red pepper, which I used.


When the squash starts sizzling in the bottom of the pan add chopped canned tomatoes and their juices. Toss in a cinnamon stick, turmeric (which I don't have), and water. Let these simmer, covered, for about twenty minutes, or until the squash is soft.


Puree the chunky soup together until smooth and then season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.


So good! I normally prefer cream-based soups, but otherwise this is pretty much everything I like in my soup. It's spicy and sweet at the same time and the cinnamon really adds a unique flavor.

I may still add some cream to this, because I adore cream, but the soup stands strong without it as well. Make this. Maybe in the winter time instead, though.

squash -- $2.44
canned tomatoes -- $.99
red pepper -- $2.79
celery -- $1.99 (though I only used one stick)
Total Cost of Squash Soup North African Style: $8.21 (for about three servings)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.