I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

June 12, 2010

Andalucian Gazpacho (p. 130)

It's hot out. Like, 95 degrees and ridiculously muggy hot, making today the perfect day for some cold soup. I enjoyed Green Gazpacho when I made it a couple of weeks ago, but this time I was ready for the more traditional tomato-based form.

I had most of the veggies in the fridge from my CSA, so I just needed to run out for a couple of ingredients, one of which I may have accidentally stolen from Food Lion (self checkouts hate me.) 


In a food processor, combine peeled red tomatoes, red onion, green pepper and peeled cucumber until well combined. Slowly pour in olive oil and vinegar and continue to process the veggies. Soak chunks of stale bread in water for a short amount of time (I just left it for about a minute) and then remove and squeeze the excess water from the bread. Add this to the food processor as well as cumin and cayenne pepper (I didn't have cayenne, so I used chili powder.) 

Process all the ingredients until they are finely mixed, and add salt as needed.


This is a really nice and light soup. I had mine as soon as I made it, but I'm looking forward to having more later, after it's had time to chill in the fridge for a while.


Yum!

cucumbers -- $2.44
tomatoes -- $7.32
green pepper -- $.79
Total Cost of Andalucian Gazpacho: $10.55 (makes 8 servings)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.