I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

June 8, 2010

Rigatoni all'Amatriciana (p. 197)

I needed a way to use the rest of last week's prosciutto, so this pasta recipe seemed perfect. It actually calls for guanciale, made from cured pork cheeks, but let's be honest -- I wasn't going to find that on a Monday night in North Raleigh. So, prosciutto.

Sautee onion, garlic, and your cured meat of choice in olive oil until the veggies are starting to brown. Add tomatoes that have been peeled, seeded and chopped, and leave the heat on medium for about five minutes while the tomatoes give off their juice.


Continue cooking the veggies on a lower heat for about twenty more minutes, until the sauce is thick, and then add salt and pepper.

This recipe is meant to be prepared with bucatini, but I didn't know what that was, and I thought it was similar to rigatoni (it's not, at all, I just checked Google images.) Oh well. I like rigatoni.

Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and add grated cheese.


This was really good, but would have been better with either more sauce or less pasta. The recipe called for the entire pound (one full box) of pasta, so next time I would halve that so that there is more saucy goodness covering each bite.


With this, I made a simple salad of cucumber, onion, feta, and balsamic vinegar. Pretty much a perfect summery side.

tomatoes -- $3.20
onion -- $1.10
rigatoni -- $1.00
grated parmesan cheese -- $2.50 (with most of the bag remaining)
Total Cost of Rigatoni all'Amatriciana: $7.80

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.