I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

January 17, 2011

Eggplant in a Sauce of Peppers and Tomatoes (p. 314)

I don't like eggplant. It has a weird consistency -- all creamy and buttery -- that doesn't seem to belong in a vegetable. But I have several eggplants recipe left, so here we go. Team eggplant!

I started by chopping my eggplant into small chunks and covering the pieces up with salt in a colander. This sucks the water our of them, I guess, and then the water drains away. I let them sit this way for a couple of hours and then rinsed them off and patted them dry again.


Next, brown the eggplant in olive oil, and, once totally browned, remove it from the heat. Add in chopped green or red pepper, yellow onion and garlic and cook until softened. Put the eggplant back in along with chopped tomatoes and cook for about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper and serve, either hot from the pan or at room temperature later.


The textures of this were definitely not ideal, but it was better than I thought it was going to be. I'll probably finish the leftovers, though its not like I'm looking forward to them.


eggplant -- $1.24
green pepper -- $.81
tomato -- $.92
yellow onion -- $.29
Total Cost of Eggplant in a Sauce of Peppers and Tomatoes: $3.26
($1.09 per serving)

3 comments:

  1. You are moving right along! One of the best ways for folks who don't love eggplant is to use it is in ratatouille. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hasn't Mary said it beautifully! I was going to say: NOT LIKE EGGPLANTS! Good Grief! What's wrong with you girl! (lol)
    Maybe the left overs will taste sensational as the flavours would have more time to get into the eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just love eggplant. The salt thing takes some bitterness out, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.