I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

January 9, 2011

Gratin of Fish and Spinach (p. 376)

I'm starting to run out of regular main course recipes in my cookbook, which is making me nervous. Pretty soon all I'm going to have left are veggies and desserts.

But it hasn't happened yet, and last night I made this lovely gratin which has just a few ingredients -- my perfect recipe!

Sauté freshly-washed spinach using only the water clinging to its leaves.


Separately, sauté garlic and chopped onion in olive oil until they have softened. When the spinach is tender, chop it coarsely and add it to the onion mixture along with salt and pepper and a little bit of Dijon mustard.

Make a little bed of this combination in the bottom of an oven-safe dish and then layer in your fish (I used a beautiful tuna steak.) Top with more of the spinach/onion and bread crumbs, and cook until the fish is done.


I liked the simplicity of this meal and would definitely eat it again. It came together in less than an hour (which is rare for recipes from The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook) so I was a happy camper! More time for bananagrams with Matt.

spinach -- $3.99
tuna steak -- $6.19
Total Cost of Gratin of Fish and Spinach: $10.18
($5.09 per serving)

1 comment:

  1. This looks fantastic. Love the direction of the blog. Love bananagrams.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.