I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

January 11, 2011

Tunisian Orange-Olive Oil Cake (p. 455)

I haven't done a ton of desserts from The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook, mostly because I don't love Mediterranean desserts -- they're just not sweet enough. I'm willing to keep trying them in order to finish the cookbook, but the "A Few Sweets" section of the book is definitely not my favorite part.

Tunisian Orange-Olive Oil Cake, or Gateau a l'Orange, uses beautiful blood oranges; peels and all.


Blend these in your food processor along with olive oil to create a beautiful pink creamy mixture.


Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla together in a bowl and then alternate between folding in the orange/olive oil mixture as well as the traditional baking ingredients -- flour, baking powder and baking soda.

Pour the batter into a buttered and floured springform pan.


Cook until a toothpick stuck into the middle of the cake comes out clean.


Top with powdered sugar and serve.


I had really high hopes for the cake because I loved the batter, but once again, it's just not sweet enough for my taste buds that I can really consider it dessert. Luckily, I've had some frozen buttercream frosting waiting to be used, so this was my perfect chance.

oranges -- $1.55
eggs -- $1.09 (2 left)
Total Cost of Tunisian Orange-Olive Oil Cake: $2.64
($.30 per serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.