I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

January 22, 2011

Stirato (Italian Baguette)

I made another recipe from My Bread this weekend, an Italian Baguette called a Stirato.

The recipe calls for a pizza stone and a Romertopf French Bread Baker. I have no clue what a bread baker is, but the recipe made it seem like its just a heavy stone that weighs down the bread. Since I didn't have one, I decided to use an iron skillet in its place.

I think the skillet was a little too heavy (looking at pictures online of Stirato, they don't seem nearly as flat as mine) but mine are still delicious!

(My Bread by Jim Lahey. Stirato, page 79.)

4 comments:

  1. The real test of bread is its taste not its appearance. I'll wager this was delicious. have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo, I just found your blog searching for Stirato bread recipes, and I thought you'd like you know that the bread baker the recipe referred to is a clay vessel that you bake the bread INSIDE, and it helps retain heat and steam as the bread bakes. Here's a link:
    http://www.romertopfonline.com/clay-bakers/06142/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't weigh down the bread! You cover it for part of the baking time. It simulates a stone oven and holds in the moisture from the dough which gives the bread a crusty, rustic texture.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.