I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

July 31, 2010

Skewered Shrimp with Garlic, Lemon, and Olive Oil (p. 389) followed by a Clafoutis (p.461)

Grilled shrimp, or really any kind of shrimp, is a favorite of mine -- especially in the summer. This shrimp is just dressed in a simple marinade and then set on the grill or can be broiled in the oven (which is what I did.) I created the marinade out of olive oil, salt, pepper, and minced garlic, which I poured over the shrimp (spread in a glass baking dish.)


The shrimp needs to marinate for at least a half an hour, but I made mine several hours in advance and set it in the fridge, stirring every once in a while to make sure that all the shrimp could absorb the tasty flavors.

Once you're about ready to cook, thread the shrimp onto skewers separated by a half a bay leaf between each.


Put on the grill or under the broiler for 3 or 4 minutes per side and then serve!


I really enjoyed these. The marinade wasn't overwhelming but it added a nice flavor. The only problem is that the recipe calls for the shrimp to be left with their peels on during the cooking process which makes for very messy eating. Still, delish, and great with fresh corn on the cob!


And I even made dessert tonight! I used to make cherry clafoutis in college to bring to my French classes, but it's been a long time since I've made one. The blackberries and raspberries at the grocery store looked great today, so I decided to use them instead, this time.

A clafoutis is pretty easy to make -- it's basically just berries covered in batter.

I chose to use a springform pan, but I'm not sure that was the right decision (or maybe it's just time for a new springform), because while in the oven some batter leaked out through the seam and got things a little smokey. Whichever pan you choose to use, butter the sides and bottom well and then spread your berries (or cherries, or plums, or apples, or whatever you fancy) in a single layer across the bottom of the pan. If you're using larger fruits, be sure to remove any seeds/pits and chop them down some. Sprinkle sliced blanched almonds over the fruit.


Next up is the batter -- beat eggs and mix in sugar. Fold flour in (I used extra, since berries are so juicy), and then whole milk. Once these are all mixed together, pour the batter over the fruit. Sprinkle sugar on top of the clafoutis as well as some pads of butter and it's ready to go in the oven for about 45 minutes until the top is golden brown.


By the time it had cooked I was happy I'd used the springform:


I loved this. The berries were juicy and delicious and the batter was light and fluffy and not too sweet. I'd definitely make this again.

Also, doesn't a dining room table just look nicer with hydrangeas on it?


shrimp -- $15.02
lemon -- $.46
garlic -- $.34
Total Cost of Skewered Shrimp with Garlic, Lemon, and Olive Oil : $15.82

blackberries -- $3.99
raspberries -- $2.99
almonds -- $1.99 (I used about half of these)
Total Cost of Clafoutis: $8.97

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.