I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

August 1, 2010

Spaghetti alla Puttanesca with Tomatoes, Olives, and Capers (p. 198)

I got home a little early from work today and started making this pasta dish. It took longer than I thought it would to make because the tomatoes needed to melt down into a sauce, but despite the time commitment it was pretty easy.

The sauce is made my sautéing chopped onions and garlic and olive oil. Once the onions softened, I added chopped parsley and anchovies and let them melt into the sauce for about five minutes.


Then I added oregano and chopped tomatoes and let everything simmer together for about 25 minutes stirring frequently until it had a jammy consistency.


While the sauce was simmering, I cooked the pasta so that it finished up at just about the same time as sauce. I removed the sauce from the heat and added olives and capers and stirred them all together. I mixed in the pasta and we were ready to eat!


This was really tasty and the olives added a great salty flavor to the dish. I'm not a huge fan of capers, so if I made this again I'd probably leave those out and just add more olives. Still, a lovely meal!

olives -- $3.00
anchovies -- $4.59 (plenty left for other recipes)
onion -- $1.50
CSA tomatoes -- $4.40
spaghetti -- $2.00
Total Cost of Spaghetti alla Puttanesca: $15.49 (with several portions leftover)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.