I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

July 7, 2010

Risotto ai Frutti di Mare (p. 230)

I had a couple of my best ladies over for dinner tonight, and since they're vegetarians, I wanted to make a seafood dish. I've really enjoyed the past couple of risotto dishes that I made through The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook, so seafood risotto sounded like the way to go.

Seafood risotto can me made with any firm-textured seafood, so I used medium-sized shrimp. I shelled the shrimp and sauteed them in olive oil until they were almost, but not quite, cooked (about 6 minutes.) I mixed in chili powder and then removed the shrimp using a slotted spoon so that the shrimp-infused olive oil stayed in the pan. The shrimp were set aside in a bowl until later in the recipe.


In the same olive oil that the shrimp was cooked in, I sauteed yellow onion, garlic, and celery and cooked them until the veggies were soft -- about 15 minutes. I stirred in arborio rice and combined it with the veggies until the rice was covered in the veggie juices. Then I added dry white wine and left this combination over low heat until the wine had been absorbed.


Throughout this process, I had veggie stock simmering over low heat (somehow, I had been unable to find fish stock -- maybe its only available at fancy grocery stores?), so I slowly began adding the hot stock to the rice dish. As with the other risottos, add a few ladles of stock to the rice and wait until that has been absorbed before adding more. Continue adding stock like this until it has all been absorbed and the rice is cooked.

Several minutes before the risotto is finished, add the shrimp back in to finish cooking.

When the dish is all done, add in chopped parsley and parmigiano reggiano cheese (unless you have a dairy-free friend, as I did, in which case wait until the dish is served to add the cheese to individual bowls.) Serve with crusty bread!


This was lovely, as all the risottos have been. If I were to make it again, I would definitely want to use the fish stock, because that would add some extra seafood flavor to it, but all in all, very good!

shrimp -- $2.89
celery -- $.99
veggie stock -- $2.50
Total Cost of Risotto ai Frutti di Mare: $6.38 (This was for a half recipe, and fed 3 people perfectly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.