I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

July 5, 2010

A Feast for the Fourth (non-Mediterranean) -- Part 1

The 4th of July is my favorite holiday. I love the colors, the fireworks, and most of all -- the food.

This year Matt and I wanted a low-key holiday and decided to just celebrate on our own at home. I scoured the web for yummy burger recipes and as soon as I saw Pioneer Woman's Most Favorite Burger Recipe, Ever I knew I had a winner.

A note, dear reader: this burger is not healthy. But I kind of feel like if you're eating a burger you may have already crossed that bridge.

I followed the recipe exactly except for the size of the patties -- she makes a one pound burger! I think I would have had a heart attack immediately if I'd made those, so we stuck to quarter pounders. Basically, you just mix the meat with salt, pepper, and hot sauce (we're devoted to Texas Pete's) and form your patties.


In a sauté pan, melt butter and throw in thinly sliced red onion along with brown sugar. Let the onions caramelize for about 20 minutes.


Next up -- the spicy mayo. We generally don't eat mayo and pretty much never have it around the house. I bought the tiniest jar possible just to make this recipe. Combine your mayo with hot sauce (a lot of it, in my case) until you have a nice pink sauce.

Butter both sides of your buns and stick them in a pan over low heat. This crisps up the buns so that they can hold a lot of the delicious mayo. Spread both sides of the bun with mayo.

Once your burgers are grilled to perfection (Matt, the Grillmaster was responsible for ours), place a burger on each bun and load them up with the onions and blue cheese crumbles. Throw on some tasty greens and your burger is ripe for enjoyment.

  


These were beyond delicious. We both just stared at each other while we ate, occasionally mumbling through mouthfuls how delicious the burgers were.

We had talked about doing fries or corn on the cob to go with the burgers but decided (rightfully so) that they would suffice on their own. As a side, we just had a little salad of balled watermelon and sprite melon. Yum!


Hope everyone had as delicious a 4th as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.