I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

July 16, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

This time last year I entered Duke Homestead's first annual pie making competition at their Pork, Pickles, and Peanuts event. I didn't blog about my actual pie last year, but I made a Sour Cream Apple Pie and came in 3rd in the competition.

This year, I made this recipe for Grandma's Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. My mom grew rhubarb in our garden growing up, and would make strawberry rhubarb compote for us in the summer, smothered with whipped cream and served piping hot. I loved it, and hoped the pie would have the same great flavors.

I followed the recipe pretty closely, but used a little less sugar, butter instead of shortening, and corn starch instead of tapioca. It looked delicious even before i had mixed the pie filling ingredients together.


I always have trouble with my pie crusts, but this one came together pretty easily. I assembled the pie and did a little decoration on top to make it pretty. My pies are always slightly unattractive because I have no clue how to crimp the edges. Do you need a special tool for that?


Anyway, despite the edges, it looked pretty and smelled amazing. Unfortunately, I didn't get to taste it, because the whole pie needed to go to Duke Homestead for judging, and by the time I stood in line to buy a piece of my own pie back after the judging, it was all gone. Sad, but true. People told me it was really good.

I was hoping for some improvement this year, but once again I came in third. Alas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.