I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

July 6, 2011

Peppery Steamed Mussels (p. 395)

I've had trouble tracking down mussels lately -- anyone else? I bought some a couple of weeks ago to make this recipe with, and they were all dead. I was not a happy camper. Last time I went looking for them Fresh Market hadn't gotten a mussel delivery. Finally today I found them, and they were alive, so I was sold.

I had actually started this recipe a couple of weeks ago before realizing that my mussels were dead, so I was already familiar with the first steps -- sauteeing chopped celery, garlic, parsley, julienned red pepper, and lemon zest.


This smells amazing. Actually, last time, Matt and I ate this mixture on top of pasta so that we wouldn't waste it, so I already knew this was going to be delicious.

Once the veggies are soft, pour in some white wine and lemon juice, and toss in black pepper as the pan starts to sizzle. Toss in the mussels and cook until they have all opened.


Then serve, preferably with crusty bread to mop the sauce up with.


This was super delish. I would eat this again, in a heart beat. The lemon zest made it feel like a really light and summery meal, but the mussels were filling and meaty.

celery -- $1.99
red pepper -- $1.99
mussels -- $.98

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.