I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

November 29, 2010

Mini Apple Tarts

Thanksgiving this year was at my husband's aunt's house in Winston-Salem, but I had planned to bring some sort of delicious dessert made out of apples and sugar and happiness. Alas, I got sick and Matt suggested his relatives might not love eating something that I had coughed all over, so I didn't contribute to the meal at all.

Once I was feeling a little better, though, I made the Mini Apple Tarts I'd been craving.

I made the dough using a recipe from Smitten Kitchen, and shaped it into little cups by molding them over the backside of my mini cupcake pan. I baked them for about 10 minutes and then pulled them off, but they weren't able to hold their shape. I'm not sure if they weren't cooked long enough to be able to stay together, but I just smooshed them into a regular size cupcake pan and went with it.

For the apple filling, I used my favorite recipe for Sour Cream Apple Pie. I filled the mini tarts and topped each one with sugar and cinnamon that I cut butter into until it crumbled.

Then I baked it until the pastry was cooked and the tops were browned.


This was super delicious. The apples were soft and flavorful and the pastry tasted almost like a short bread. My sister, dad, and I scarfed these down the day after Thanksgiving. 

I'll definitely make this recipe again!


1 comment:

  1. These sound SO yummy and now I am totally craving them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.