I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

May 14, 2010

Mhammara (p. 58)

Mhammara is Red Pepper and Walnut Sauce, and is pretty much those ingredients pestled (is that a word?) together with a few other things. My mortar and pestle is pretty tiny and couldn't hold near the amount of ingredients, so I actually did mine in the food processor instead.

Roast red peppers so that they are blackened on the outside, and then place them in a paper bag to steam themselves for another 20 minutes. Once they are all set, peel away the skins and chop the peppers (discarding seeds/membranes/etc.)

In a bowl (or in your food processor), combine garlic, salt, toasted bread crumbs, and walnuts.


Once these have become paste-like, add in the red peppers and continue pounding or processing until the mixture is again paste-like. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and mix in chili pepper, cumin,  lemon juice, olive oil, and, if you have it, pomegranate syrup. I couldn't find the syrup at my Harris Teeter, but the recipe says to add extra lemon juice if the syrup is left out, so I did.

Add toasted pine nuts to the top of the sauce, and you're all ready to go.


Yum! Matt and I both liked the flavors of this, as well as the texture -- it's a little crunchy from the walnuts and bread crumbs, and has a sweetness from the peppers. I'd definitely make this again for a party. We're serving ours with veggies as an appetizer before a little cookout this evening, but it would also work with pitas triangles or on the side of a plainly cooked fish or chicken dish.


peppers -- $5.58
lemon -- $.50
Total Cost for Mhammara: $6.08 (I halved the recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.