I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

October 25, 2010

Ratatouille (p. 66)

I've never been a huge fan of ratatouille, or eggplant for that matter, but I think I could actually have enjoyed this recipe if I had cubed the zucchini and eggplant into slightly smaller pieces. The recipe called for the eggplant to be cut into 1.5 inch cubes, which, when I ate them, allowed me to taste their unfortunate consistency.

Anyway, ratatouille is pretty simple; roast a red pepper over the stove top and, when it is done, peel it and cut it into strips.


Reserve the juices and strips and place them in a bowl.


Sauté onions in olive oil and cook them until they are soft. Add the onions to the bowl.


Soak your cubes of eggplant in salt water for a couple of hours and then pat them dry.


Add more olive oil to the pan and lightly fry the eggplant. Add them to the bowl.


Add more olive oil and lightly fry small cubes of zucchini. Add them to the bowl.


With the remaining olive oil, sauté chopped peeled tomato, along with crushed coriander seeds and a little sugar, until they have a jammy consistency. Add this to the bowl and stir to coat everything. Add in salt, pepper, and capers and serve.


The flavors in this were really good, I just didn't love the consistency of the eggplant. If you make this, cut the eggplant into much smaller cubes and you'll be golden.

eggplant -- $1.39
red pepper -- $1.90
onion -- $1.12
zucchini -- $.64
tomato -- $2.12
Total Cost of Ratatouille: $7.17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.