I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

October 19, 2010

Carrots in Agrodolce (p. 305)

Carrots in Agrodolce is Italian Sweet and Sour Carrots and is the last of my cooked carrot recipes, thankfully. It's easy enough to cut the carrots out of other recipes, but when they're the main ingredient it's a little harder. The plus side of this recipe is that I got to use my new birthday present kitchen scale for the first time. I didn't have the amount of carrots the recipe called for (3 pounds) so I needed to scale back all the other ingredients accordingly.


I got my carrots all cleaned up -- peeled and chopped -- and put them in lightly salted boiling water for about 5 minutes before draining them.

Next up I sauteed a little bit of chopped onion in olive oil until the onion was nice and soft. In went the carrots and black pepper as well as a little bit of hot water. I let this simmer, covered, for five minutes, before adding some red wine vinegar and, once that was bubbling, a little bit of sugar. I stirred everything together thoroughly and then served with a little bit of parsley scattered on top.


So, this is still cooked carrots, but the flavors are good.

The best part of the recipe is that I had all the ingredients, so it was totally free.

That, and that we ate it along with amazing beef and chorizo tacos (not Mediterranean) based loosely on this recipe, but really mostly just based on what was available in my fridge.


So totally delicious. Hello, spicy chorizo love.

Total Cost of Carrots in Agrodolce: Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.