I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

February 1, 2011

White Bean, Collard Greens, and Yellow Squash Soup (p. 138)

I made this soup the other night. The recipe actually calls for cavolo nero, or black cabbage, but that's kind of hard to come by, so I used collard greens instead.

I soaked the white beans over night with garlic and a bay leaf, and then cooked them in their soaking liquid when I was ready to make the soup. The beans took about 40 minutes to cook, at which point I took them off the heat and discarded the bay leaf.

The rest of the soup comes together quickly -- sauté onions until starting to brown and then add them to simmering chicken stock (or veggie, if you want it to be a vegetarian soup.) Do the same with squash -- I had butternut left over from a recipe last week.


Cut the greens into thin strips and add them into the soup, along with salt and pepper, leaving to cook for about 15 minutes until the greens are tender.


Add the beans and their water in with the rest of the soup and bring it back to a simmer. Serve with a little cheese on top!


This has a lot of greens in it. Maybe too many, for me. It's okay, but definitely not something I'd make again.

collard greens -- $1.99
yellow onion -- $1.03
Total Cost of White Bean, Collard Greens, and Yellow Squash Soup: $3.02
($.78 per serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.