I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

February 15, 2011

Baked Fish Fillets in a Herb Marinade (p. 382) with Garbonzos kon Spinaka (p. 334)

It seems like it's been a little while since I've done a full dinner -- between the holidays and being out of town and working, the months have been flying by quickly. Luckily, I had a three day weekend this past weekend, so last night I felt rejuvenated and ready to do some real cooking.

I always like fish (or any meats, really) in a marinade and this was no exception. Plus, the marinade was so simple that it only took a couple of minutes to make. Just chop together parsley, a bay leaf, garlic, and a yellow onion very finely. Stir in harissa to create a paste.


This gets spread over the fish and set aside in the fridge for at least an hour.


Cook for 15 minutes and then serve.


This was great, as anything with harissa in it proves to be. It wasn't overpoweringly spicy, it just had a nice heat.


Garbonzos kon Spinaka is Sephardic Spinach with Chickpeas from Greece, and I made it to accompany the fish. Since I didn't soak my chickpeas over night, I decided to do a quick soak method that is recommended in the book. You just cover the dried chickpeas with water in a pan, boil the water for about 2 minutes, cover, and remove the dish from the heat. Then leave the pan, still covered, for a couple of hours.

The actual dish comes together pretty easily -- sauté onions and add the chickpeas and some water.


Simmer for about 40 minutes until the peas are tender. Then just add in spinach and dill and cook until the spinach is tender -- about 10 minutes.


Pour in lemon juice and add salt and pepper.


This was pretty good, though I think I'll go back to soaking my chickpeas overnight instead of quick soaking them. They definitely could have been more tender. The dish is pretty lemony, which made it pair really nicely with the fish.

tilapia -- $6.11
onion -- $.34
Total Cost of Baked Fish Fillets in a Herb Marinade: $6.45
($1.61 per serving)

lemon -- $.58
dill -- $.99 (about half left)
spinach -- $3.09
chickpeas -- $1.69 (it was time to stock up, plenty is left)
Total Cost of Garbonzos kon Spinaka: $6.35
($1.27 per serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.