I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

April 29, 2010

Sweet and Sour Cabbage (p.302)

This is the last cabbage recipe I have in the book, and I can't say I'm sad. Again, cabbage is fine, but it's not something I would ever really choose to eat.

This recipe is more inventive than the last one, though, so I was interested in giving it a try. I sauteed pancetta (YUM) in olive oil until the fat began to bubble, and then added chopped onion to the pan, cooking until it had softened. To this I added two chopped tomatoes and some tomato paste, and simmered them down until a sort of sauce had formed.

Once the base of the dish was ready I added thinly chopped cabbage and some red wine vinegar and left it for about 15 minutes, until the cabbage was wilted and mostly cooked in the sauce. Throw in a dash of honey and simmer a bit longer, and the dish is ready.


This was good. You know, for cabbage. It was definitely both sweet and sour, and the pancetta added a nice flavor. And it only required one dish to cook in, so I was sold. 

cabbage -- $3.67
onion -- $1.22
pancetta -- $3.29
Total Cost of Sweet and Sour Cabbage: $8.18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.