I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

April 13, 2010

Italian Frittata with Tomatoes and Peppers (p. 93)

We had a ton of eggs left from a couple of recipes earlier this week, so I decided to cook a frittata tonight. A quick trip to the store for a tomato, a zucchini, and an onion and I was ready to roll.

I sauteed the onion and some garlic in a pan for about 15 minutes until the onion started to brown slightly around the edges, and then pushed those veggies to the side and added diced zucchini, a seeded chopped tomato, and chopped sweet peppers. I left these to cook for about 15 minutes with a little salt and pepper.


Once the veggies were soft I took them off the heat to cool a bit and then added olive oil to coat the pan and several eggs that had been beaten together. This went back on the stove for about 6 or 7 minutes, long enough to cook the eggs almost completely. I tried to make sure that I could get a spatula underneath the eggs without breaking the whole frittata, but I was somewhat unsuccessful.


When the egg part was mostly cooked I scattered parmigiano reggiano cheese on the top and put the whole dish under the broiler for four minutes until the cheese was browned and the egg cooked completely through.

We enjoyed this. Nice fresh vegetables, crispy cheese, and a pretty light meal altogether.


onion -- $.62
zucchini -- $.86
tomato -- $2.50 (why did my one tomato cost this much?)
Total Cost of Italian Frittata with Tomatoes and Peppers: $3.98

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.