I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

June 13, 2011

English Sausage Rolls

I'm slightly in love with Gordon Ramsey, and his show MasterChef just started up again. The show starts with eliminations, and one of the people who made it through the first round prepared a sausage roll, which I had never heard of before. It's apparently a lot more popular in England, and is pretty much just street food. We've had some sausage in our freezer for months now, so I was excited to try these.

I followed the recipe for Mark's English Sausage Rolls, which seems like a super basic start to my endeavor with this new food.

When Matt and I honeymooned in Maine, we fell in love with Raye's Mustard, to the extent that now, four years later, we still get the mustard shipped to our house about once a year. We only have one jar left right now -- their hot and spicy variety.


The mustard gets spread over the puff pastry:


 And then the sausage is wrapped in before being wiped down with a beaten egg.


My sausage was already cooked. In the future I'd like to use uncooked sausage to be able to mix in some other delicious ingredients, like in this recipe.

Since this is kind of finger food, I cut the wrapped sausage into small pieces before popping them in the oven for 20 minutes.


Pull them out when they're golden brown.


And then gobble them right up.


These are super delicious! They're basically pigs in a blanket for grown-ups and would be pretty awesome as hors d'oeuvre at a party. I'm excited to make them again and try combining some delicious ingredients in with the sausage before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.