I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

September 1, 2010

Pissaladiere (p. 178)

This is a Provencal Pizza, with a delicious thick crust and flavored with anchovies and olives.

I came home on my lunch break yesterday to start the dough since it needed to rise for a couple of hours. To make, stir yeast into warm water and leave for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make a well in all-purpose flour mixed with salt and, once its ready, pour in the yeast as well as a mixed egg and some olive oil. Mix these ingredients together until they form a dough, and then continue kneading until it is soft and smooth. I needed to add more flour to make the dough less sticky.

Set this aside for at least two hours.

To make the pizza topping, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until very soft.


Stir in peeled and chopped tomatoes and continue cooking until the majority of the liquid from the tomatoes is absorbed. Add slivered fresh basil, salt, and pepper.

I used a springform pan to spread my dough into, but any sort of greased metal pie pan will do. Spread the dough across the bottom and sides of the pan with your knuckles and then pour in the onion and tomato topping. Crisscross anchovy fillets across the top of the pizza and place pitted black olives in the crosses.

Put the pizza on a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes, then lower the temperature of the oven and cook for 20 more. The dough should be golden brown and the filling bubbly.


Matt actively disliked the anchovies and the olives, and I agree the cooked olives were a little weird -- it might have been better to have just put the olives on after the pizza was cooked. That said, the crust was amazing and I would definitely make it again -- it was fluffy and chewy and had a nice flavor. I enjoyed this and am happy to have it for leftovers, but I probably wouldn't make this exact recipe again.


olives -- $2.32 (about half left)
onions --  $2.56
tomatoes -- $1.45
Total Cost of Pissaladiere: $6.33

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.