I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

March 29, 2010

Sicilian Tuna in Foil Packets (p. 361) and Garlic-Roasted Potatoes with Black Olives (p.333)

This fish dish is great because you can prepare it all in advance, put it in its foil packet, and then toss it in the fridge until you're ready to cook. I made mine a few hours ahead and the prep work only took 20 minutes or so. The fish is lightly seared on both sides and then put aside on a square of aluminum foil while the sauce is created. I sauteed onions and garlic until they were lightly browned and very soft, and then added golden raisins, chopped celery, green olives, and capers to the mix. After a couple of minutes, I threw in canned tomatoes that had been chopped. Once the sauce thickens, it is poured over the fish along with some bread crumbs and the foil is folded over the fish so that it is in an aluminum envelope.


The recipe also called for pine nuts, but there is apparently a shortage of them right now and I was unable to find any.

The foil packet is supposed to be placed on a cookie sheet and put in the oven for 15 minutes. When I took mine out after that time frame it was still pretty pink in the middle, so I popped it back in the oven for more time because in my house we're afraid of undercooking. I think I put it in for too long after that, but I'd prefer an overcooked piece of tuna to stomach trouble.


I wanted to find a side that would use up the potatoes we have leftover from all the starch-heavy sides I've made this past week. I'm definitely getting sick of potatoes, but I didn't want the last two to go to waste. The Garlic-Roasted Potatoes with Black Olives recipe calls for 2 pounds of potatoes, so I just paired down all the ingredients in it, guesstimating how much I'd need of each.

The potatoes are chopped up with their skins still on them and mixed together with garlic, rosemary, a crumbled dried red chili, salt, pepper, and olive oil. They're mixed well and then roasted in the oven for 25 minutes. Mine took closer to 35, but if I had cut them smaller it probably wouldn't have been a problem. Once they're out, you add the chopped olives and serve.


Both of these recipes were really flavorful. Matt says that this fish dish is his favorite that we've had so far and, even though I felt it was a little overdone, I agree that it was super tasty and flavorful. The potatoes were also really nice -- I never would have thought to pair potatoes with olives, but the duo worked out well.  Even with only two potatoes.

Yum.

We paired the meal with a wonderful bottle of Veuve Cliquot, compliments of my father in congratulations for Matt's new job.


tuna steak -- $5.89
onion -- $1.15
golden raisins -- $2.67 (plenty left over for snacks)
celery -- $1.99 (I only used one stalk)
capers -- $3.49 (most of the jar is left)
green olives -- $1.00
canned tomatoes -- $1.29 (about half is left)
Total Cost for Sicilian Tuna in Foil Packets: $17.48

Olives -- $1.40
Total Cost of Garlic-Roasted Potatoes with Black Olives: $1.40 
(with enough leftovers of the dish for both of us to take to lunch tomorrow)

Other items I made today that have nothing to do with the Mediterranean Diet:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.