I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

August 24, 2011

Fiore di Zucchini Fritti (p. 342)

This recipe for Fried Zucchini Blossoms has been the bane of my existence. I've been trying all summer to track down zucchini blossoms, but to no avail. They're not at the farmers market, I can't get them through my CSA, local grocery stores don't have them, and even my co-worker who grows zucchini couldn't supply them -- this summer's drought killed all her plants by the time I got around to asking her.

I was getting pretty sad that this was what was going to prevent me from completing the cookbook, but my mom offered to make them for me and let me know what she thought about the recipe. Works for me!

She grows zucchini in her garden, so she had the access:


These were rinsed and set aside while she heated up her oils (olive and canola). Next up, she sifted flour into water, beating them together and adding salt and pepper.


Each blossom was dipped in the batter and dropped into the hot oil until golden brown on each side.


And then voila, fried zucchini blossoms are served.


And the taste? Mom says that they were "delightful, the perfect crunch and savory, salty, and delicious."

So there you go. Recipe number 264 is done and done, and I'm officially though with cooking The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook. I win. Thanks, mom!

5 comments:

  1. Magic! What a beautiful note to win on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting that you pulled off cooking the whole book! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on accomplishing your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.