I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

May 1, 2011

Lamb Baked with Potatoes, Tomatoes, and Zucchini (p. 438)

I think I'm down to my last few lamb recipes in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook, which means that soon I'll be moving on to rabbit -- yikes!

I made this dish on my day off this past week in hopes to have it ready for a nice lunch at home. I forgot to factor in the amount of time it needs to cook for, so it wasn't actually ready in time and I had a nice grilled cheese sandwich instead, but I've been enjoying it for leftovers this weekend.

This one requires a bit of prep work, but it's mostly just chopping up the veggies -- onion, tomatoes, zucchini, and potatoes (I used sweet, because that's what I had on hand.)

Brown the pieces of lamb thoroughly and put them into an oven proof dish.


Using the same pan (and the same meat and olive oil juices) sautee the onion  and some crushed garlic. Layer it on top of the meat.


Do the same with the potato cubes,


and then the tomatoes and zucchini, mixed with some tasty spices and allowed to simmer into a thick sauce with some water.


Bake the whole dish for about an hour and then serve.


The lamb in this was delicious -- very tender and flavorful. I do think regular potatoes would have been a better pairing that the sweet variety, but sometimes you just have to try.

lamb -- $5.12
zucchini -- $.52
onion -- $.65 (half left)
tomatoes -- $2.36 (CSA price)
sweet potatoes -- $.79 (CSA price)
Total Cost of Lamb Baked with Potatoes, Tomatoes, and Zucchini: $9.44
($2.36 per serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.