I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

February 15, 2012

Pizza Calzones

I pretty regularly read the blog SimplyScratch, and recently came across a recipe there for Pizza Calzones. It looked like such an easy and tasty recipe that I decided to make it for friends this past weekend. I knew I wasn't going to have time to make the dough on my own, so I picked some up from the deli area of the fancy double-decker Harris Teeter nearby.

I sauteed up some mild sausage (next time I might try the spicy, but with guests I try not to add too much spice, just in case)


and sauteed a red onion


and then set those ingredients aside while I doctored up some tomato sauce. (I just used regular tomato sauce but added in some spices to make it a little bit more special.)

Then comes the fun part -- assembling the calzone. A layer of tomato sauce, sausage, onions, pepperoni, and lots of shredded cheese.


Twist the edges together and brush with an egg before popping them in the oven for about twenty minutes.


Pull them out when they're golden brown and serve!


These were really good and I would definitely make them again.


Next time I'll add more filling, because these felt like they had a lot of crust, but overall they were really tasty and an easy meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.