I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

March 1, 2011

North African Shrimp Tagine (p. 387)

I know, I know -- I've been totally neglectful of cooking. We just spent a fabulous weekend in Winston-Salem and Asheville and I'm ready to get some recipes under my belt again.

What I loved about this recipe is that it has some non-traditional Mediterranean elements in it. The shrimp is marinated in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, saffron, paprika, chopped fresh ginger and cilantro, two ingredients not regularly found in Mediterranean cooking.


While the tasty flavors are combining with the shrimp, make a simple tomato sauce of tomatoes and chopped garlic, along with a little bit of cumin. Spoon the majority of this into a tagine or, if you don't have one, like me, just in a pot that has a lid.

Layer in yummy veggies: carrots, red onions, red potatoes, red pepper, and a spicy green pepper.


Add the rest of the tomato sauce, cover with the lid, and steam lightly for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are fully cooked.


Put the marinated shrimp with all its juices on top, throw on some olives, and cook for 10 more minutes.


We ate this with toasted pita halves and were very very happy. I loved the flavors of the marinated shrimp -- the ginger was amazing -- and the veggies were a tasty complement. I'd totally eat this again, as is, or with just the marinated shrimp and some rice. Super tasty.

cilantro -- $1.69 (most of the bunch is left)
red onion -- $1.13 (half left)
carrots -- $1.29 (most of the bag is left)
red pepper -- $2.94
red potatoes -- $.89
olives -- $4.20 (I bought way too many so I could just eat them)
poblano pepper -- $.70
tomatoes - $1.82
ginger -- $.25
shrimp -- $10.65
Total Cost of North African Shrimp Tagine: $25.56
($8.52 per serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.