I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

December 8, 2010

Fassolada (p. 136) and Moroccan Carrot Salad with Orange and Lemon Juice (p. 83)

Fassolada is Greek White Bean Soup and it's a great hearty soup that's pretty easy to make.

In a stock pot, cover white beans (that have been allowed to soak overnight) with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, for about a half an hour.

Meanwhile, sauté onions, carrots, and celery in olive oil. Once they have softened, add in diced green peppers.


Add this combo, along with tomato paste, into the pot with the beans and cook until the beans are done, about another half hour. Add in lemon juice and salt and pepper and serve.


Matt and I both really liked this. It's kind of like meatless chili and was definitely filling enough to be dinner. And we liked dunking crusty bread into the juices, too.

Since I was already buying carrots for the soup, I also made a Moroccan Carrot Salad with Orange and Lemon Juice. The carrots are supposed to be grated on the smallest holes of the grater but my smallest holes are super small, so it basically just gave me carrot juice and a bloody knuckle. After bandaging I chose a larger hole, with much success.

Mix the grated carrots with fresh-squeezed orange juice (yum), lemon juice, and a tiny bit of sugar. Top the salad with roasted walnuts (with their skins removed.)


I loved that the carrots weren't cooked in this recipe, and I liked the flavor of the orange. I don't need to make it again but I'll be good with tomorrow's leftovers.

beans -- $1.55 (the bulk are left)
onions -- $1.37 (half an onion left)
pepper -- $.99
celery -- $1.99 (most left) 
Total Cost of Fassolada: $5.90
($1.48 per serving)

carrots -- $.99
lemon -- $.69
oranges -- $1.20
Total Cost of Moroccan Carrot Salad with Orange and Lemon Juice: $2.88
($.96 per serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.