I've cooked my way through all 264 recipes
in The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook!

April 30, 2010

Strawberry Meringue Pie

Supper Club (theme: Local) was last night, and Matt and I were in charge of dessert. My CSA box arrives on Thursdays and I knew it would be brimming with ridiculous fresh North Carolina strawberries, so I wanted a recipe that would use them, deliciously.

Enter Strawberry Meringue Pie. It looked tasty and somewhat speedy so I gave it a go.

You've got the whole recipe listed online, so I'll only cover the basics:

Cook a store-bought refrigerator aisle pie crust for 10 to 12 minutes and let it cool. Make meringue by mixing room-temperature egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar, and sugar until they create stiff peaks. Spread this mixture into the baked piecrust, building the meringue up along the edges of the crust.


Bake this for about thirty minutes and let cool.



Once this had cooled (actually, I didn't let it, because I was short on time), spread some warm lemon curd on top of the meringue.

While the meringue was cooling, I chopped up five cups of strawberries.


And then I mixed those strawberries with the rest of the semi-melted lemon curd and added them into the pie.

I chilled this for about an hour and a half before serving.


Totally delish. I was expecting to be able to take some home after supper club, but everything was devoured. I strongly recommend it.

And now we're off to Dallas for the weekend, so no tasty updates until Monday, at the earliest!

strawberries -- $2.75
pie crust -- $2.69 (1 crust left)
eggs -- $.89 (3 left)
Total Cost of Strawberry Meringue Pie: $6.33


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Love, Katrina.